My morning meal is an oatmeal. Its been like this for years and will probably be forever. Nathan likes to have eggs for his breakfast and never minds some pastry or at least just a toast. Sometimes I wake up earlier to make crepes (never pancakes though) or something else. Having people over will make me widen our breakfast horizons. What could be more classic and American than a morning muffin (pancake, I assume, but anyways)? I woke up earlier last Saturday with intention to use our muffin pan as a proof that it shouldn’t go hang out in the basement yet. I don’t load my food with butter and sugar so need to adopt most of the recipes. I recently found Rob Mill’s wheat germ package and now use it in pretty much everything. So, here it is – morning healthy treat.
Makes 12 muffins
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cups wheat germ
- 1/4 cup raw sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk (I use skim, but I think any will work)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a large bowl sift flour and add: wheat germ, sugar, salt and baking powder.
- In a small bowl beat egg with a fork. Add honey, vanilla extract, oil and milk. Mix till well combined.
- Pour liquid ingredients in the center of the dry ingredients. Mix well and pour the batter into greased (I use canola oil buttery spray) muffin pan.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, till muffins turn golden brown and ENJOY!